Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Manning Family:Colonial Families of America

Brave And Valiant, Meaning Of NameEarly Grants Of Land In EnglandKnighted In The Holy Wars 

Manning is from an old Norse word—manningi— meaning a brave or valiant man, and one of the first forms of the name was Mannin; another orthography was Mannyng.

One historian gives a Saxon origin for the family, which he calls "ancient and noble." According to him, Manning was the name of a town in Saxony, and from thence the family of Great Britain sprung. Others make Mannheim, Germany, the cradle of the family, and begin its history, with Ranulph, or Rudolph de Manning, Count Palatine, who, having married Elgida, aunt to King Harold L, of England, had a grant of land in Kent. His name is also written de Mannheim— Budolph of Mannheim.

His place in Kent was Downe Court, and there the Mannings have been a power ever since. Simon de Manning, called a grandson of Ranulph, was the first of the English barons to take up the cross, and go forth to the Holy Wars. He was a companion of Richard I., Cceur de Lion, and knighted on the battlefield. We can easily see where the cross, of the coat-of-arms illustrated, comes from. At Downe Court these arms are seen graven upon tombstones of the Mannings. By the thirteenth century the family was well represented in over a score of countries, and several towns bear their names—Manningham, Yorkshire, and Mannington, Norfolk.

In the "new world" the Mannings have always been well represented. In 1634, William of Kent, made a home at Cambridge, Mass.; about the same time we find John and Thomas at Ipswich; another John and George at Boston; in 1662, Nicholas at Salem, Mass., and in 1676 Jeffrey Manning in New Jersey. The story of a forefather who "ran away" should come in right here, but details are lacking to make the story complete, and where he ran from or what he ran for must be left to the imagination.

William of Cambridge is regarded as the ancestor of the Mannings of Vermont, Connecticut, and New York. His grandsons were Ohio pioneers.

A few years ago, and perhaps at the present, the house Samuel, grandson of William, built at Billerica was standing; for 175 years it was the home of the Mannings, and possibly it, or the other, is still owned by the family. The house, a frame one, was built of brick on the north side, like all houses of the time.

William, of Cambridge, and Susannah, his wife, had one son, William, born 1614, in England—perhaps their only child. He married Dorothy, and they had five children—two were sons. He was a surveyor, selectman, member of the grand jury, and one of the pillars of the church. When it was decided to call a new pastor, he was sent to England to ask Rev. Urian Oakes to accept the position, which he did, and later he became president of Harvard. To William Manning, Jr., and John Cooper was entrusted the task of collecting funds for the building of Harvard Hall.

In 1635, Thomas and John Manning, born in England, were living in Virginia. Stephen Mannering (not Manning, although this may have been the correct spelling), in 1677, confessed, with others: "We have bin notoriously actors in ye late horrid rebellion, set on foot by Nathaniel Bacon." We confess ourselves traitors and will never, no never do so again, is the sum and substance of the confession, although not exactly thus worded.

Mme. Washington, wife of Colonel John Washington, said to Manning, "If you had been advised by your wife you would not have come to this pass." "Madame," he replied, "if I were to doe, I could doe it again." We all


admire his spirit, and, in passing, we ask, did any man ever follow his wife's advice; indeed, did he ever ask it?

In Spottsylvania County, Va., Andrew and James Manning were living about 1770, and in Princess Anne county, Henry K. Manning. The family was prominent in South Carolina, where there is a town, Manning, in Clarendon County. Thomas Manning was one of the Council of Safety, S. C, in 1775.

The picturesque figure of this story is Captain John Manning, whose career, on both land and water, was noteworthy. He was born in England. In 1667 we find him high sheriff of New York City, a judge, and a commander on the high seas, "fit for any employment in the militia," as the Earl of Clarendon wrote to the King. In 1673, the Dutch fleet arrived with the enterprising purpose of annexing Manhattan Island.

Demanding the surrender of Fort James, it was given up, and straightway Captain John returned to England to explain to the King how impossible it was to hold the fort with but a handful of men. The King, turning to the Duke of York, said, "Brother, the ground could not be maintained with so few men." Manning was thus exonerated, and returned to New York in the same ship with Governor Andros. At one time the Captain was fined twenty shillings, because it was said that he had traded with the Dutch, and his vessel was advertised to be "sould at Milford, on Tuesday next, at three o'clock in ye afternoon by an inch of a candell, he that offers most to have her."

The Captain spent his last years on what is now called Blackwell's Island, New York City. He owned the island, and it was called Manning, or Manningham. His stepdaughter, Mary, married, in 1676, Robert Blackwell, and the island has since gone by this name. It is not known whether the Captain had any children.

The family has its war record, and one to be proud of. Representatives are found in all colonial wars. Benjamin, Daniel, David, Thomas, and Samuel were among the number. Diah (where did he pick up this name?),

Early History of the Manning's

The Mannings had their early origin in Germany and went over to England from Saxony in the fourth and fifth centuries, three branches settling^in Kent county, in Sussex and in Norfolk. The Mannings who came first to America were from Kent. The coat-of-arms was quite similar for all of the surname, and was granted in 1577 to Manning, Downe. Kent County, according to "Burke's Armory," page 656. The motto is, "Better die than submit to disgrace." The first of the name mentioned in the county of Kent was Ranulph de Manning, or Manheim, Lord of Manheim, who married the aunt of King Harold. Simonde Manning, son of Ranulph, possessed lands in Downe and was knighted in the second crusade. He was among the very first of the English barons to take up the cross and go with King Richard to the holy wars in 1190. He was the ancestor

of the line of Manning of Downe, and Gootham, who were knight s-marshal in the household of England's sovereigns for nearly four hundred years. The old manor house of this progenitor was an entailed estate and is still in the Manning family.

During the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) some of the name migrated to Ireland, where there has always since been a large representation of the Manning family. As late as in the reign of King William of Nassau (168-9-1702) there were Mannings in the Emerald Isle who tcok up arms for the restoration of James II. and for their action the greater part of their estates was confiscated and never returned to them. Sir Henry Manning, knight-marshal to Henry VII. married Eleanor Brandon, aunt of the Duke of Suffolk, who was the husband of Mary, sister of Henry VIII and widow of Louis XII of France. She was the grandmother of Lady Jane Grey. Sir Henry s grandson, John Manning, son of Hugh, had a grant of a large part of the possessions of the Earl of Esmond, in Ireland, and joined the Earl' of Essex, about 1600. in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, in an expedition to the land of the Irish people.

Among the early emigrants to America, some Mannings settled in New England and some in Massachusetts. The earliest mention of any person by this name in America is in August. 1635. when the English ship "Globe" left London for the new world with one John Manning on board, born about 1615. as he was then twenty years of age. It is supposed that he settled in Massachusetts, for as early as 1640 a Captain John Manning and wife Abigail were living in Boston. There was a William Manning at Cambridge, admitted a freeman in 1640. His son William left two sons. Samuel and John. Mention is also made of a George Manning, of Boston (1653), who was one of the original proprietors of Sudbury in 1640. By his second wife, Mrs. Hannah Blanchard, he had eleven children, George, John and Joseph being the sons. There was a George Manning who went to St. Johns, New Brunswick, about 1738, among the loyalists, and became one of the grautors of the city. There was a Captain John Manning (about 1659) living near the old boundary line between the colonies of New York and Connecticut.' He became a man of prominence and power, both as a military and civil officer. His name is recorded in the provincial documents of New Jersey as a British army official during the governorship of Philip Carteret, when New Jersey and New York were connected in government. He lived also at Newtown, Long Island, and became the owner of the long narrow island in the East River, owned by a Dutch officer. Captain Francis Fyn, since 1651. It was confiscated and given to Captain John Manning for services to England in the wars with the Dutch. He named it "Manning's Island" and deeded it to his daughter Mary, who married Robert Blackwell, of New Jersey, in 1676, and it became Blackwell's Island, and has borne the name ever since. Robert and Mary (Manning) Blackwell lived there. The Blackwells became prominent among the old merchants of New York.

The New Jersey Coast in Three Centuries: History of the New Jersey ..., Volume 2

 edited by William Nelson

Rannulf de Manning

Rannulf de Manning (de Mannheim)

Birthplace:Mannheim, Germany 
Death:Died  in Kent, England, United Kingdom
Immediate Family:

Husband of Elgida
Father of Simon de Manning and Mabel Marie de Manning I